Wood for Smoking: Hickory Wood Chunks, soaked 1 or 2 hours in advance.
- Heat the butter and mix in garlic powder or minced garlic and set aside.
- Coat the meat with oil, then shake on salt and pepper liberally.
- Allow the meat to rest while warming the grill and wood chunks.
- Cook the meat on one side for 3 minutes at maximum heat, over 500° F.
- Flip the steaks.
- Cook the meat on the opposite side for 3 minutes at maximum heat, over 500° F.
- Start lowering the temperature to a target of 375° F. Change to indirect heat. And check meat temperature, the T-Bones should be fully cooked.
- Cover both sides of all meat with the butter and garlic mixture.
- Allow to cook for 1 minute, so the butter and garlic cooks in.
- Remove the T-Bone Steaks.
- Allow the Cowboy/Tomahawk Ribeye Steak to continue cooking till desired level of doneness is reached. Use a meat thermometer to check temperature.