10 Pound Full Beef Brisket
Beef Rub of Choice
Apple Juice (In a sprayer bottle and a cup of it separated for later use.)
Wood Pellets: Traeger Hickory preferred, Green Mountain Grills Premium Texas Blend Pellets may also be used.
- Cut off silver skin, trim the fat cap to 1/4 inch and score in 3/8 inch squares like a waffle. Also, trim any other fat on the meat side, to be mostly cut off and score if needed.
- Coat the brisket with your rub of choice.
- Refrigerate covered overnight.
- Warm the pellet smoker to 165° F. and put the brisket in fat side up.
- Smoke for 4 hours and spritz with apple juice every hour.
- Turn over and smoke for 2 more hours. No need to spritz from this point forward.
- Increase the grill temperature to 200° F., turn the brisket fat side up, insert the meat probe and cook till the meat temperature reaches 165° F. (74° C).
- Wrap the brisket in foil and add 1 cup of apple juice.
- Increase the grill temperature to 225° F. and cook till the meat temperature reaches 195° F.
- Line a cooler with newspaper or a towel, and place the brisket into the cooler for 90 minutes.
(This recipe is inspired by the “Kansas-Style Beef Brisket” Recipe in the Green Mountain Grills Recipe Book.)